Alexander von Humboldt Researcher
1. Alexander von Humboldt fellowship awarded in March 2004 by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation established by the Federal Republic of Germany for Medical and Biomedical knowledge representation, Data models and Ontologies.|
2. Member of Network of Excellence (NoE) project "Semanticmining" funded by the European Union in the Sixth Framework.
3. Member of the project "Forms of Life" sponsored by the Volkswagen Foundation.
1. Kumar A, Smith B, Pisanelli M, Gangemi A, Stefanelli M. Clinical Guidelines as Plans: An Ontological Theory. Methods of Information in Medicine. (In press) |
2. Kumar A, Ciccarese P, Smith B, Piazza M. Context-Based Task Ontologies for Clinical Guidelines ; in: Pisanelli, Domenico M. (ed.): Ontologies in Medicine: Proceedings of the Workshop on Medical Ontologies, Rome, October 2003. IOS Press, Amsterdam.
3. Kumar A, Smith B, Pisanelli M, Gangemi A, Stefanelli M. A General Framework for Implementation of Clinical Guidelines by Healthcare Organizations; in: Pisanelli, Domenico M. (ed.): Ontologies in Medicine: Proceedings of the Workshop on Medical Ontologies, Rome, October 2003. IOS Press, Amsterdam.
4. Mor Peleg, Samson Tu, Jonathan Bury, Paulo Ciccarese, John Fox, Robert A. Greenes, Richard Hall, Peter D. Johnson, Neill Jones, Anand Kumar, Silvia Miksch, Silvana Quaglini, Andreas Seyfang, Edward H. Shortliffe, and Mario Stefanelli. Comparing models of decision and action for guideline-based decision support: a case-study approach ; J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2003 Jan-Feb;10(1):52-68. ISSN print 1067-5027 ISSN online 1527-974X
5. Kumar A, Quaglini S, Ciccarese P, Stefanelli M. Modular representation of the guideline text: An approach for maintaining and updating the content of medical education ; Med Inform Internet Med. 2003 Jun; 28(2): 99–115 ISSN Print 1463-9238 ISSN Online 1464-5246.
6. Kumar A, Smith B. Ontology for task-based clinical guidelines and the theory of granular partitions. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Cyprus, 19-22Oct. 2003.; Lecture Notes in Artitificial Intelligence (Springer) 2780; 71-75. ISBN 3-540-20129-7 ISSN 0302-9743
7. Ciccarese P, Caffi E, Boiocchi L, Halevy A, Quaglini S, Kumar A, Stefanelli M. The NewGuide Project: guidelines, information sharing and learning from exceptions. in: Proceedings of the 9th Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 2780), Springer, Berlin: 2003, pp. 163-167. ISBN 3-540-20129-7 ISSN 0302-9743
8. Kumar A, Smith B, Quaglini S, Stefanelli M, Piazza M. A General Framework for Implementation of Clinical Guidelines by Healthcare Organizations. AIME'03 Workshop: Qualitative and Model-based Reasoning in Biomedicine. Cyprus, 19 Oct., 2003.
9. Kumar A, Quaglini S, Stefanelli M, Ciccarese P, Caffi E, Boiocchi L. A framework for representing and executing a clinical practice guideline for the management of high blood pressure in pregnancy. Technology and Health Care. 10; 2002 (Nov 6) :517-519. ISSN 0928-7329
10. Kumar A, Smith B. Oncology Ontology in the NCI Thesaurus. AIME 2005. Aberdeen, UK. (accepted) |
11. Kumar A, Burgun A, Ceusters W, Cimino J, Davis J, Elkin P, Kalet I, Rector A, Rice J, Rogers J, Schulz S, Spackman K, Zaccagini D, Zweigenbaum P, Smith B. Six Questions on the Construction of Ontologies in Biomedicine. AMIA 2005, Washington DC, USA.
12. Smith B, Kumar A, Mejino O, Rosse C, Schulz S. Anatomical information sceince. COSIT 2005, Ellicottville, NY, USA. (submitted)
13. Smith B, Ceusters W, Koehler J, Klagges B, Kumar A, Lomax J, Mungall C, Neuhaus F, Rector A, Rosse C. Relations in Biomedical Ontologies. Genome Biology. (In press)
14. Kumar A, Yip YL, Smith B, Marwede D, Novotny D. An Ontology for Carcinoma Classification for Clinical Bioinformatics. MIE 2005, Geneva. (submitted)
15. Keet M, Kumar A. Applying partitions to infectious diseases. MIE 2005, Geneva. (submitted)
16. Kumar A, Smith B, Novotny DD. Biomedical Informatics and Granularity. Compar Funct Genomics 5(6-7): 501-508.
17. Kumar A, Smith B. On Controlled Vocabularies in Bioinformatics: A Case Study in Gene Ontology. Drug Discovery Today: BIOSILICO, 2, 2004, 246-252.
18. Kumar A, Yip L, Smith B, Grenon P. Bridging the Gap between Medical and Bioinformatics Using Formal Ontological Principles. Computers in Biology and Medicine. (In press)
19. Kumar A, Smith B. Enhancing GO for the Sake of Clinical Bioinformatics. Bio-ontologies Workshop, ISMB, August 2004. Glasgow, UK.
20. Kumar A, Yip L, Jaremek M, Scheib H. Ontological Model for Colon Carcinoma: A Case Study for Knowledge Representation in Clinical Bioinformatics. GMDS 2004. 29 Sept. Innsbruck, Austria: 196-198.
21. Smith B, Kumar A, Bittner T. Basic Formal Ontology for Bioinformatics Journal of Information Systems(submitted)
22. Kumar A, Piazza M, Smith B, Quaglini S, Stefanelli M. Formalizing UMLS Relations Using Partitions in the Context of Task-Based Clinical Guidelines Model. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine (submitted)
23. Kumar A, Smith B, Borgelt C. Dependence Relationships between Gene Ontology Terms based on TIGR Gene Product Annotations. CompuTerm Aug 29, 2004: 3rd International Workshop on Computational Terminology: 31-38.
24. Bodenreider O, Smith B, Kumar A, Burgun A. Investigating subsumption in DL-based terminologies: A case study in SNOMED CT. In: Hahn U, Schulz S, Cornet R, editors. Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Formal Biomedical Knowledge Representation (KR-MED 2004); 2004. p. 12-20.
25. Kumar A, Smith B. Towards a Proteomics Metaclassification. IEEE Fourth Symposium on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering, Taichung, Taiwan. IEEE Press. 2004; 419-427.
26. Ceusters W, Smith B, Kumar A, Dhaen C. Mistakes in medical ontologies: Where do they come from and how can they be detected? in DM Pisanelli (ed.), Ontologies in Medicine: Proceedings of the Workshop on Medical Ontologies, Rome October 2003, Amsterdam: IOS Press, 2004.
27. Smith B, Köhler J, Kumar A. On the Application of Formal Principles to Life Science Data: A Case Study in the Gene Ontology. DILS 2004, Leipzig. Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics. 2994; 79-94, 2004. ISSN 0302-9743. ISBN 3-540-21300-7.
28. Ceusters W, Smith B, Kumar A, Dhaen C. Ontology-Based Error Detection in SNOMED-CT® Medinfo. 2004;2004:482-6.
29. Kumar A. metaProt: A Proteomics Metaclassification Medinfo. 2004;2004(CD):1699.
30. Smith B, Kumar A, Schulze-Kremer S. Revising the UMLS Semantic Network Medinfo. 2004;2004(CD):1700.
31. Kumar A, Smith B. The Universal Medical Language System and the Gene Ontology: Some Critical Reflections. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2003 Sep; 2821/2003: 135 – 148. ISBN: 3-540-20059-2
32. Kumar A, Smith B. A framework for Protein Classification. Proc. Of German Conference on Bioinformatics, Munich, Oct 12-14. 2003.. 2;55-57. ISBN 3-936-298-80-7
33. Kumar A, Ciccarese P, Quaglini S, Stefanelli M, Caffi E, Boiocchi L. Relating UMLS semantic types and task-based ontology to computer-interpretable clinical practice guidelines. Proceedings of Medical Informatics Europe, St.Malo, France, 4-7 May 2003, IOS Press. : 469-474,2003. France, 4-7 May 2003, IOS Press. : 469-474,2003. ISBN I 58603 347 6 (IOS Press); ISBN 4 274 90590 X C3047 (Ohmsha); ISSN 0926-9630
34. Rognoni C, Mazzoleni C, Quaglini S, Kumar A, Nicola L, Santoro C. Integrating ICNP in Nursing Electronic Patient Record. Proceedings of International Workshop and Summer School on Nursing Research. Slovenia, 27-29 August 2002.
35. Rognoni C, Quaglini S, Mazzoleni C, Kumar A, Nicola L. Using and evaluating ICNP for nurse electronic documentation and protocol representation. Proceedings of Medical Informatics Europe. Budapest , 26-29 Aug. 2002.
36. Kumar A. Review of Different Aspects of Bioterrorism for a comprehensive medical informatics-telemedicine system. Technology and Health Care. 11; 2003 (Nov 5) :335-336. ISSN 0928-7329 |
37. Koskova P, Kumar A, Roy A, Weinberg J, Madle G, Carson E. Ontological Principles of Disease Management from Public Health Perspective: a TB Case Study. Healthcare Digital Libraries Workshop 2004. (Accepted) |
American Medical Informatics Association AMIA |
Health Level 7 HL7
AMIA SIGs:: Clinical Information Systems (42), Clinical Trials (43), Consumer Health Informatics (08), Dental (04), Education (01), Genomics (44), Nursing (02), People and Organizational Issues (38), Prevention & Public Health (41), Primary Care Informatics (10), Quality Improvement (45), Student (11), Formal (Bio)Medical Knowledge Representation (46), Knowledge Discovery & Data Mining (05), Mobile Computing (07), Natural Language Processing (14), Telehealth (40)
HL7 SIGs:: Electronic Health Records, Decision Support, Clinical Genomics, Patient Care, Clinical Vocabulary
Gene Ontology Consortium GO
eVoc Ontologies eVoc
| My name (or full name) is a very common name to be searched directly on Pubmed. I believe it is because of the fact that this name is used very commonly in India, where I was born. Some say "It might be in the name", may be, who knows!
If you would like to browse my publications on Pubmed, you would need to try "Kumar Quaglini" or "Kumar Stefanelli", my surname with that of my PhD guides, Dr. Silvana Quaglini. and Dr. Mario Stefanelli