Johannes Gemkow is a research associate at the Department of Media Literacy and Media Appropriation of the Institute of Communication and Media Studies. He studied communication and media science (BA) at the University of Leipzig and media anthropology (MA) at the University of Halle/Saale. His current research focuses on media and information literacy, mediatization, the sociologies of technology and knowledge and qualitative research methods. In his doctoral thesis he worked on an approach for the conceptualisation of media literacy based on the mediatization of knowledge.
Johannes Gemkow is a Member of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA), the German Educational Research Association (GERA) and of the Association for Media Education and Communication Culture (German: GMK).
- since 01/2017
Research Associate, Leipzig University, Department of Media Literacy and Media Appropriation, Institute of Communication and Media Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences and Philosophy
- 02/2015 - 12/2016
Research Assistant, Leipzig University, Department of Media Literacy and Media Appropriation, Institute of Communication and Media Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences and Philosophy
- since 04/2016
Graduate Student, Leipzig University, Department of Media Literacy and Media Appropriation, Institute of Communication and Media Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences and Philosophy
- 10/2013 - 09/2015
Master of Arts, Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Department of Media and Communications Studies, Focus: Media Anthropology
- 10/2008 - 03/2013
Bachelor of Arts, Leipzig University, Institute of Communication and Media Studies
- Media and Information Literacy
- Theory and History of Media Education
- Sociologies of Technology and Knowledge
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Gemkow, J.Medienkompetenz und die Mediatisierung des Wissens: Zum Potential der Dispositivanalyse am Beispiel mediatisierter Wissensbeständemerz - medien + erziehung - Zeitschrift für Medienpädagogik. 2017. 2017 (6). pp. 18-29
- Ganguin, S.; Gemkow, J.Media LiteracyIn: Bering, K.; Niehoff, R.; Pauls, K. (Eds.)Lexikon der Kunstpädagogik. Oberhausen: ATHENA. 2017. pp. 335-337
- Ganguin, S.; Gemkow, J.; Treumann, K. P.Methodentriangulation in der medienpädagogischen Forschung: Von agonalen Paradigmen zu einer methodologischen SynergieIn: Knaus, T. (Ed.)Forschungswerkstatt Medienpädagogik: Projekt – Theorie – Methode. München: kopaed. 2017. pp. 125-154
- Ganguin, S.; Gemkow, J.; Haubold, R.Information Overload as a Challenge and Changing Point for Educational Media Literacies2017. pp. 302-328
- Gemkow, J.Medienkompetenz und die Mediatisierung des Wissens. Zum Potential der Dispositivanalyse am Beispiel mediatisierter WissensbeständemerzWissenschaft. 2017. pp. 19-30
The teaching profile of Johannes Gemkow serves an analysis of media theory and encourages education about theoretical terms and basic concepts to media education. Furthermore, the the opportunities and risks of (new) media towards media users are going to be evaluated.
The profile also reaches the Media's significance in educational processes, whereby media socialization, media literacy and media didactics are focuseed.
Beyond that, the teaching profile addresses the issue of media based construction of social reality. In addition, media educational institutions and orgranizations are taken in account.
Seminar "Orientation within the Communication and Media Studies"
Seminar "Media Education's Theory and History"
Master, Winter Semester 2018/2019
Seminar „Qualitative Methodes in Media Education“
Bachelor, Winter Semester 2016/2017