Incoming exchange students  

exchange students

Registering at the Bürgeramt (Resident Services Office)

International students must register their stay in Leipzig with the municipal authorities no later than one week after enrolment. To do this you will need an application form.

You can register at any Bürgeramt (Resident Services Office) throughout Leipzig.

Documents you will need:

  • Certificate of Enrolment
  • Rental agreement

Registration with the Ausländerbehörde (Foreigners' Authority)

International students who are not from an EU- or EEA-country require a residence permit immediately after enrolment. They can obtain it from the Ausländerbehörde (Foreigners' Authority)

application for residence permit

Prager Straße 128 (Entrance B1)
04317 Leipzig

Phone: +49 341 123-3310
Telefax: +49 341 123-3315

Documents you will need:

  • Immatrikulationsbescheinigung (Certificate of Enrolment)
  • Registration certificate from Citizens’ Office
  • Passport
  • 2 biometric passport photographs
  • Rental agreement
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Germany
  • Fees (for non-EU citizens, currently 110,- euro for first payment)
  • Financial statement (confirmation of a scholarship, bank statement or equivalent)

last update: 12.04.2018 


International Centre
Felicitas Hanke
Contact | Office hours

Jane Moros
(bilateral agreements, MAUI, AEN)
Contact | Office hours