The unity of research and teaching (“teaching through research”) as well as the community of teachers and learners are fundamental principles for teaching and study at Leipzig University. They unite teachers and students, management and administration in a community of responsibility that is founded on discourse and exchange. The Unit for Quality Management in Teaching and Learning sees itself as part of this community and supports the faculties in further developing courses of study and in optimising teaching-related structures and processes.
The importance of quality management in teaching and learning
Leipzig University aims to offer degree programmes that are in line with academic, didactic and social requirements. We want to produce graduates who are able to think and act in a considered and reflexive way in relation to the world, and to regard themselves critically as global citizens in economic, ecological, social and cultural contexts.
The unity of research and teaching (“teaching through research”) and the idea of the community of learners and teachers fundamentally shape Leipzig University’s culture for teaching and study.
To enable this exchange between teachers and students, quality management in teaching and learning ensures
- regular events (quality processes)
- a reliable framework (quality criteria)
- a sound empirical basis (key indicators and survey data).
Our university has successfully put its quality management system to the test by means of a system accreditation and has been accredited since July 2018.
Duties of the unit
The Unit for Quality Management in Teaching and Learning (StQE) supports Leipzig’s Rectorate, faculties and courses of study in all quality management processes in teaching and learning. The key processes in this regard are
- guidance and support in the context of teaching innovation and quality development
- the quality assessment of degree programmes (committee procedure)
- the evaluation of courses, modules and degree programmes
- the teaching report procedure
- the external review of degree programmes
- the certification of degree programmes.
The basis for this is Leipzig University’s quality management handbook, which is systematically updated by the StQE in coordination with the responsible committees.