We are delighted that you have decided to study at our university! To make sure things run as smoothly as possible for you, we would like to give you a few tips on how best to prepare for studying here and for your future life as a student in Leipzig.

For information about how the coronavirus outbreak may affect your studies at Leipzig University, please visit our Information About Coronavirus page.

Preparing for your studies

In order to successfully apply to our university, you will need sufficient knowledge of German and the right academic preparation for your degree programme. Find out about the relevant requirements as well as services to help you prepare to study your subject in German.
Learn more

When You Apply

Depending on what type of degree you’ll be studying for at our university, certain admission requirements and application procedures apply.

Bachelor’s/Diplom/State Examination Applications

Read more

Applying for a Master’s Programme

Read more

If you are applying to study for a degree at our university, you will need certified copies of your certificates and, in some cases, sworn translations of those certificates.

Leipzig University will keep your application documents. For this reason, never send original certificates when applying.

Please note the different application procedures in each case:

Before submitting your documents, please refer to the guidelines on official certification and sworn translations on the uni-assist website. These guidelines apply to all applicant groups and are valid even if you have not applied via uni-assist.

TestAS is a central, standardised aptitude test for foreign students. If you wish to enrol on one of our university’s degree programmes with restrictions on admission, you must have good or excellent grades. In the case of undergraduate programmes (bachelor’s, Diplom, State Examination), the average grade of your higher education entrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung or HZB) is relevant. By taking TestAS, you have the opportunity to improve this grade and increase your chances of being admitted to the first semester of study on a restricted programme. Unfortunately, TestAS cannot be considered for applications to the Studienkolleg (preparatory course).

The Test

TestAS consists of a core test that measures cognitive abilities required for successful study whatever the degree programme. Additional subject-specific test modules measure further cognitive abilities required in selected areas of study.

TestAS is offered in German, English and Arabic.

Have Your Test Result Credited

In order for your test result to be taken into account, currently you must achieve a percentile rank of at least 90.

We consider both the result of the core test and the subject-specific test module (which must correspond to the degree programme applied for).

  • A bonus of 0,2 will be credited towards your HZB grade if your percentile rank in the core test is at least 90.
  • A further bonus of 0,2 will be credited for a percentile rank of at least 90 in the respective subject-specific test module.

The following example shows how this can improve your average HZB grade.

Higher education entrance qualification grade: 2,5
Maximum TestAS bonus: 0,4
New higher education entrance qualification grade: 2,1

The percentile rank for this bonus may be adjusted depending on the number of applicants. For more information, please refer to the TestAS website.

TestAS results can only be credited for undergraduate programmes (bachelor’s, Diplom, State Examination) with admission restrictions.

Vorschaubild für Video

Organising Your Stay

Which visa do I need? What is the best way to get to Leipzig? What costs can I expect and how can I afford them? We have a range of services and information to help you organise your life at university.

Who requires a visa?

  • The following can enter Germany without a visa:
    students from the European Union, the European Economic Area and some other countries.
  • The following require a student visa:
    all other students, especially those intending to stay in Germany for longer than three months.

Make sure you check the entry requirements for your country in advance. This information can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office. Information is also available from the German missions in your home country.

As soon as you have arrived in Germany, please present your three-month visa to the Foreigners’ Authority (Ausländerbehörde) in Leipzig and apply for a student residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis zu Studienzwecken).

For more information, please refer to our information sheet on student residence permits.

What Types of Visa Are There?

A visa for Germany is always issued for a specific purpose. As a student you apply for either a student visa or a student applicant visa.

To apply, please contact the German embassy or consulate general in your home country. Under no circumstances should you enter the country on a tourist visa only. You will not be able to convert it into the necessary student residence permit once you are in Germany.

How Do I Apply for a Visa?

To apply for a visa you need:

  • a valid passport;
  • your letter of admission from our university or a confirmation of your application to uni-assist;
    • if you have already been offered a place, you can apply for a student visa directly.
    • if you have already applied but not yet been offered a place, you can apply for a student applicant visa (Studienbewerbervisum). As proof you can use the confirmation of receipt or the review report that you received from uni-assist when applying.
  • proof that you can finance your studies. You have two options for this:
    • paying for yourself: this requires a deposit of currently at least 10.236 euros for one academic year (equivalent to two semesters) into a German bank account (blocked account), with the restriction that you may not withdraw more than 853 euros per month. A bank account can also be set up in your home country by a German bank. Further financing must be shown plausibly by submitting suitable documents.
    • declaration of commitment: the declaration of commitment (Verpflichtungserklärung) must be applied for at the German mission in your home country before you enter Germany. By signing, the person submitting the declaration of commitment is liable for the person entering the country. The former undertakes to pay the cost of living (food, clothing, housing, care in the event of sickness and disability). This commitment is in principle irrevocable and applies for the entire duration of the student’s stay.

To apply for a visa, you can use the database of the German Federal Foreign Office to find your contact person for matters pertaining to visas and entering the country.

Information on the visa procedure, entering Germany and the necessary application forms can also be found on the Federal Foreign Office website.

For more information you can also contact the German embassy or consulate general in your home country.

Visa Requirements for Non-EU Citizens Enrolled at a University in the EU

Non-EU citizens enrolled at a university in an EU country (except the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark) no longer necessarily require a German residence permit if they are planning to stay in Germany for fewer than 360 days for the purpose of studying. This is in accordance with EU Directive 2016/801, known as the REST Directive for researchers and students.

As soon as you have received your letter of admission, please contact our International Centre. As the host university, we must submit an application for mobility to the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF), which must be approved before you arrive.

To do this, please send us scans of the following documents in an email with the word “REST” in the subject line:

  • Student mobility notification form, filled in electronically
  • Residence permit of the first EU Member State
  • Erasmus+ confirmation of your home university
  • Letter of admission from Leipzig University
  • Recognised, valid passport
  • Proof that you have secured your living expenses
  • Proof of health insurance.

If you are planning a stay of more than 360 days for the purpose of studying, then as a rule you must first apply for a visa.

Semester Fee

You must pay the semester fee on time before the start of each semester. It applies to all students at our university, including doctoral candidates and attendees of the Studienkolleg Sachsen.

Tuition Fees

Leipzig University does not currently charge tuition fees for a student’s first degree. Please note, however, that in certain cases students may be required to pay fees for a second degree or for exceeding the standard period of study by too long. Fees are also charged for some special courses and the DSH course.

Monthly Costs

You will need around 720 euros per month to cover the cost of living in Leipzig. This amount is of course a guideline; your actual outgoings will depend on your spending habits.

Average monthly costs in Leipzig consist of the following (all values approximate):

Rent for apartment/room  €150–€425
Statutory health insurance   
Voluntary statutory health insurance

Study material €50
Food, clothing, miscellaneous €250

If you require a visa, then you will already need to provide proof that you have enough money to live here when applying for the visa in your home country.

One-Off Costs

In addition to the monthly costs, you should expect additional one-off costs at the start of your studies, such as a deposit for your accommodation and the fee for setting up a blocked account. You should therefore budget for approximately €750 more for getting started in Leipzig.

You need health insurance to study in Germany. Otherwise you will not be able to enrol.
There are two types of health insurance in Germany:

  • Statutory, public insurance
  • Private insurance (usually only for doctoral candidates).

Please provide proof of valid health insurance when you enrol in person.

If you are covered by group insurance as part of a scholarship programme, you will need confirmation from a statutory health insurance provider that you are exempt from statutory health insurance.

Statutory Health Insurance

  • Students from European Union countries prove their health insurance by showing their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This is based on the social security agreements of the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area.
    Please note that your insurance may not cover all costs in Germany. You should therefore make sure that you know exactly which benefits you are entitled to in Germany before you enter the country. You will need confirmation from a statutory German health insurance provider that you are exempt from the statutory insurance obligation.
  • Students from non-EU countries can take out statutory health insurance if they do not have valid health insurance accepted by our university. You choose a German health insurance policy including nursing care insurance.

    All student insurance policies cost around 80 euros per month (this information was correct in August 2018).
    Your enrolment will not be complete until you have proven that you have valid health insurance. In order to take out statutory health insurance, you must present your enrolment certificate.

Your new registration with an insurance company must take place within one day after your enrolment certificate has been issued. Some health insurance providers will attend our Welcome Week, where it will be possible to register with them.

  • Doctoral candidates who do not have an employment contract, but who have already had statutory health insurance as a bachelor’s or master’s student from Germany or the EU, or who themselves come from the European Union, can also take out voluntary statutory insurance during their doctorate. The fee is higher than the standard student fee for statutory health insurance. It starts at around 180 euros and depends on the scholarship amount.
  • Doctoral candidates who have an employment contract at our university can be insured as employees in any statutory health insurance fund.

Doctoral candidates who are moving here from third countries only have the option of taking out private insurance. These often exclude certain pre-existing conditions and do not cover all insurance benefits.
Please check these exclusion criteria carefully before taking out insurance and entering Germany.

Learn more

Private Health Insurance

In some cases, private health insurance from other countries may be recognised in Germany. You should clarify the details with your insurance provider. Usually, private health insurance is suitable for all students over the age of 30, for those attending a Studienkolleg and for doctoral candidates. You can also take out this insurance in Germany.

Is your private insurance recognised in Germany? If so, you will need confirmation that you are exempt from the statutory health insurance obligation. To do this, please have the confirmation of health insurance coverage form filled in and bring it along to your enrolment.

If you have private health insurance, you will be required to pay for all medical services and medication in Germany in advance and then settle the bill with your health insurance provider.

If you are privately insured, you will not be permitted to switch to a statutory health insurance provider for the duration of your studies.

In contrast to other countries, universities in Germany hardly award any scholarships.

The most important provider of scholarships for international students is the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

  • The portal for international students run by the Deutsches Studentenwerk contains information about potential funding opportunities and scholarships in your home country.
  • Under the Deutschlandstipendium programme, Leipzig University regularly awards scholarships to particularly committed, talented and high-performing students.

Further information on funding opportunities and scholarships can be found on the following pages:

Halls of Residence

If you would like to live together with other German and foreign students in a hall of residence run by the Studentenwerk Leipzig, you can apply for a room using the online form.

Rental agreements for the halls of residence are usually concluded for at least one year. Please contact the Studentenwerk Leipzig directly with any questions concerning halls of residence.

As soon as you have been offered a place at our university, you can apply to the Studentenwerk Leipzig for a room in a hall of residence.

Shared Apartments

Known in German as Wohngemeinschaften or WGs, flat-shares are particularly popular among students in Leipzig. The following are some of the best-known services for finding a room in a Wohngemeinschaft:

  • WG-Gesucht: students who are going abroad, for example, advertise their vacant WG rooms. These rooms are often offered completely furnished and on a temporary basis.
  • Schwarze Bretter: noticeboards where students advertise various things, including their furnished and unfurnished rooms. These boards can be found in various university buildings and on the online portal.

Be sure to allow enough time to search for an apartment.

A deposit is often required when renting an apartment. This is usually the equivalent of one to two months’ rent, excluding ancillary costs, which is paid into a savings account. When the rental agreement ends, your deposit will be refunded – as long as you return the apartment undamaged.

There are various options for arriving in Leipzig.

By aeroplane

  • Airlines offer daily worldwide connections from/to Leipzig/Halle. There are direct flights to Leipzig/Halle from airports such as Frankfurt am Main, Munich, Stuttgart, Cologne/Bonn, Düsseldorf, Zurich, Vienna and Istanbul.
  • Leipzig/Halle Airport is a 30-minute drive from the city centre.
  • Deutsche Bahn trains run regularly between the airport and Leipzig’s Central Station.
  • The airports in Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt am Main and Hanover are also easily accessible from Leipzig. There are rail and coach services between these cities and Leipzig.

By train

  • Intercity and Intercity-Express (IC/ICE) services run by Deutsche Bahn connect Leipzig with most major European cities.
  • Located in the heart of the city, Leipzig’s Central Station is among the largest and most awe-inspiring train stations in Germany. There are many regional and suburban railway connections linking Leipzig with the surrounding area.

By coach

  • The coach terminal is right next to the Central Station in the middle of Leipzig.
  • From here you can use coach links to other German and European cities, for example on services offered by FlixBus.  

By car

  • You can reach Leipzig via the A9 (Berlin–Nuremberg) and A14 (Halle–Dresden) autobahns.

Further travel information can be found on the following websites:

Grupper interantionaler Studierender sitzt auf dem Campus Augustusplatz
Photo: Christian Hüller

You may also like

Preparing for your studies

Read more

Getting started

Read more

During your studies

Read more