The collection of historical specimens at the Institute of Pathology has a history spanning more than two centuries and shows a wide range of exhibits from various pathological disciplines.
Dating back to the late 18th century, the Pathology Teaching Collection now contains about 620 specimens. In 1821 the collection was transferred to the then recently established Department of Pathology. Collected over the course of more than 200 years, most of the exhibits were destroyed in 1951 and replaced by colour slides. Today, the surviving exhibits of the pathological collection are once again regularly used in teaching. These wet specimens in Kaiserling solution illustrate the anatomical consequences of diseases such as heart attacks, kidney malformations, bone changes and tuberculosis. The collection is not open to the public.