During Welcome Week you will get to know our university and students from all over the world. As an exchange student, you will need to deal with a number of organisational matters. We will be happy to accompany and support you every step of the way to ensure that everything runs smoothly.
Your enrolment takes place during Welcome Week. Make the most of your first days at Leipzig University to get to know your faculty and meet other students!
Due to the current rules on social distancing, we are unfortunately unable to welcome you personally this semester.
Your enrolment will be carried out online. If you wish to enrol, please follow the instructions on the information document in your personal AlmaWeb account and upload the following documents to our “Speicherwolke” file hosting service:
- identity card (EU nationals)
- passport (non-EU nationals: with a valid student visa)
- Proof of health insurance valid for your stay in Germany
- Certificate of Stay of your home university, if applicable
Although students have been asked to come to Leipzig for the winter semester, the current rules on social distancing mean that we will be unable to meet and welcome each and every student.
This is why we have prepared a digital Welcome Week for you, with information about studying at Leipzig University and living in Leipzig, online events, videos, games and much more.
There are students at your faculty – known as buddies – who are on hand to support you in your everyday studies. The information about each of our courses tells you which faculty is responsible for you.
- answer your questions or help you find someone who can
- assist you with understanding and answering letters and documents involving your studies or from the authorities
- be happy to accompany you to important appointments
- offer you help with questions about working academically, such as preparing a presentation, or questions about the structure of coursework and much more.
Buddies speak German and English – and some of them Spanish, French and other languages. You can find the buddy responsible for you and your degree programme on your faculty’s website.
Registration at the Resident Services Office
International students are obliged to register their stay in Leipzig with the city administration no later than one week after enrolment. You can register at any one of Leipzig’s Resident Services Offices.
You will need the following documents when registering:
- registration form
- enrolment certificate
- rental agreement and landlord’s certificate (Vermieterbescheinigung).
Registration at the Foreigners’ Authority
If you do not come from an EU or EEA country, you will need a residence permit immediately after enrolment. You can get this from the Foreigners’ Authority:
Prager Straße 128, entrance B1
Phone: +49 341 123-3310
Fax: +49 341 123-3315
Fill in the residence permit application beforehand and hand it in at the Foreigners’ Authority together with the following documents:
- enrolment certificate
- two biometric passport photos
- rental agreement and landlord’s certificate (Vermieterbescheinigung)
- proof of health insurance
- fees (currently €110 for non-EU citizens when first issued)
- financial declaration (scholarship confirmation, proof of a blocked account, or similar)
We recommend that you open a bank account with a bank in Germany. You will need the following documents to open an account:
- registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung) from the Resident Services Office
- identity card or passport with residence permit
- enrolment certificate from our university
Students do not usually have to pay for a bank account.
Organising your studies is important, but so is your leisure time. Take advantage of the many opportunities to meet other students at our university. There’s something for everyone, including sports, music and other activities:
WILMA (the welcome initiative for foreigners studying in Leipzig) invites you to regular events and numerous excursions in and around Leipzig. Here you will discover Leipzig’s cultural scene and get to know well-known cities and regions in Germany.
- BUDDY PROGRAMM RUN BY THE STUDENTENWERK
- University sport
- University Orchestra
- University Choir
Take us with you on your voyage of discovery!
You can expect to make a lot of valuable memories during your time abroad. You will discover a new country, meet people from all sorts of cultures, and advance your academic career. And we would love to hear about your experiences. Blogs and reports are a great way for you to get other students excited about studying abroad. For example, use our German Instagram hashtag #entdeckerbleiben so that we can see your photos. Alternatively, drop us an email at interkomm(at)uni-leipzig.de if you’re interested in being featured as an Entdecker on our university’s Instagram feed.
Erasmus+ 107 Worldwide: Organising Your Studies
To be able to successfully complete your studies on the Erasmus+ 107 worldwide programme, please take care of a few organisational matters during your stay:
- Adjust your Learning Agreement
- Write your Erasmus+ participant report
- Have a copy of your Transcript of Records issued for recognition
Would you like to participate in different courses than previously planned? At the beginning of your studies, it is possible to change your course choice.
- Enter the corresponding changes in the second section of the Learning Agreement.
- Then have the document signed by the person responsible at your home university and by your academic supervisor.
- Submit the signed Learning Agreement to your contact person at the International Centre no later than four weeks after the start of the semester.
You will have gained a lot of experience by the end of your time as an exchange student. Record your views in an Erasmus+ report and help us to improve what we offer, for example in terms of the quality of our support services.
We will only pay the final instalment of your grant if you have completed the Erasmus+ participant report.
At the end of your exchange programme, have a Transcript of Records issued and signed by your Erasmus+ subject coordinator.
The Transcript of Records lists all modules you passed along with the respective grades. Please submit a copy of the signed document to our International Centre as soon as possible. The Transcript of Records is intended to simplify recognition of your academic achievements in Leipzig by your home university.
At the End of Your Stay
Your exchange stay here at Leipzig University is coming to an end and we are happy that you have chosen Leipzig for your time abroad! Before leaving Leipzig, your home for the last months, there are some things to take care of.
Re-enrol by paying the semester fee
Re-enrolment period for the winter semester: 1 June –15 August
Re-enrolment period for the summer semester: 1 December –15 February
It is not possible to issue a direct debit order via someone else’s account, such as that of your parents.
Re-enrolment by SEPA direct debit
- On the AlmaWeb portal, click on “Studies” and then “Re-enrolment”. You will first be shown your current balance.
- To issue a direct debit order, please enter your IBAN (International Bank Account Number) and BIC (Business Identifier Code). After entering your data, a one-off direct debit authorisation will be generated. The mandate reference is then displayed. Then confirm your data using an iTAN.
Please note that not all banks in the SEPA area participate in the direct debit scheme and that problems may occur under certain circumstances. It is not possible to issue a direct debit order via someone else’s account, such as that of your parents.
Re-enrolment by bank transfer
If you are unable to pay by direct debit on the AlmaWeb portal, please pay the semester fee by bank transfer. Please use the following bank details:
Recipient: Universität Leipzig
Enter your enrolment number, your full name and the semester for which you are re-enrolling (for example WS2019/20) as the payment reference.
Please deregister at the end of your time as an exchange student. To do this, submit the Application for removal from register to the International Centre. You will receive your certificate of “Exmatrikulation” via your AlmaWeb account.