Would you like to study here as an exchange student even though there is no exchange agreement between your home institution and Leipzig University? No problem! You can spend one to two semesters at our university as a so-called “free mover”.
Applying as a free mover
As a free mover, you are responsible for organising and paying for your period of study in Leipzig. Please read the information below before applying.
You can apply to our university if you
- are enrolled at a foreign university on a degree programme which is comparable to your chosen degree programme at our university. You will only be admitted if we have sufficient capacity in your chosen degree programme;
- meet the academic admission requirements for studying at German universities;
- have the necessary language skills. You must provide the respective language certificate by no later than when you enrol:
- degrees taught in German: German language skills at B2 level (CEFR)
- degrees taught in English: English language skills at B2 level (CEFR).
1. Get in touch with your faculty of choice.
Your first point of contact is usually the Erasmus+ subject coordinator. Go to our portal for periods abroad to find the relevant contact person.
Please clarify whether the faculty is able to accept you as a free mover and then have the consent form filled in.
2. Apply for admission.
You can apply via the uni-assist service for admission to Leipzig University as a free mover. Send your complete application documents by post to:
c/o uni-assist e.V.
Please note that uni-assist charges a handling fee for processing your application.
For your application, please fill in the application for admission as a free mover. The application contains a checklist of all further application documents which you are required to submit to uni-assist. These include:
- secondary school leaving certificate
- final secondary school grades by subject
- certificate of university entrance examination (if applicable)
- evidence of all completed degrees (if applicable)
- evidence of credits already acquired (Transcript of Records)
- confirmation from your home university that your stay at Leipzig University is relevant to your studies (in German or English)
- enrolment certificate from your home university
- consent form from the host faculty at our university
- for degrees taught in German: evidence of German language skills at B2 level (CEFR)
- for degrees taught in English: evidence of English language skills at B2 level (CEFR)
The respective requirements for these documents can be found attached to the application.