Would you like to study here as an exchange student even though there is no exchange agreement between your home institution and Leipzig University? No problem! You can spend one to two semesters at our university as a so-called “free mover”.

Applying as a free mover

enlarge the image: Students in front of the university library. Their outlines are blurred because they are in motion
No exchange agreement? Study as a free mover at our university. Photo: Christian Hüller

As a free mover, you are responsible for organising and paying for your period of study in Leipzig. Please read the information below before applying.

You can apply to our university if you

  • are enrolled at a foreign university on a degree programme which is comparable to your chosen degree programme at our university. You will only be admitted if we have sufficient capacity in your chosen degree programme;
  • meet the academic admission requirements for studying at German universities;
  • have the necessary language skills. You must provide the respective language certificate by no later than when you enrol:
    • degrees taught in German: German language skills at B2 level (CEFR)
    • degrees taught in English: English language skills at B2 level (CEFR).

1. Get in touch with your faculty of choice.

Browse international exchange places to figure out whether there is an exchange agreement between your home university and Leipzig University. If there is no exchange agreement, your first point of contact is usually the responsible academic adviser. Please refer to our courses of study to find the relevant contact.
Please clarify whether the faculty is able to accept you as a free mover and then have the consent form filled in.

2. Apply for admission.

You can apply via the uni-assist service for admission to Leipzig University as a free mover. The application via uni-assist is an online application. Therefore, please upload the necessary appliation documents electronically using uni-assist’s MyAssist portal. Please observe the relevant application deadline. Please do not send certified documents or originals by post to uni-assist.

Please note that uni-assist charges a handling fee for processing your application.

For your application, please fill in the application for admission as a free mover. The application contains a checklist of all further application documents which you are required to submit to uni-assist. These include:

  • secondary school leaving certificate 
  • final secondary school grades by subject
  • certificate of university entrance examination (if applicable)
  • evidence of all completed degrees (if applicable)
  • evidence of credits already acquired (Transcript of Records)
  • confirmation from your home university that your stay at Leipzig University is relevant to your studies (in German or English)
  • enrolment certificate from your home university
  • consent form from the host faculty at our university
  • for degrees taught in German: evidence of German language skills at B2 level (CEFR) 
  • for degrees taught in English: evidence of English language skills at B2 level (CEFR)

The respective requirements for these documents can be found attached to the application.

Please be sure to observe our application deadlines:

  • for the winter semester
    bachelor’s programmes: 15 July
    master’s programmes: 31 May
  • for the summer semester
    bachelor’s programmes: 15 January
    master’s programmes: 31 December

As a free mover you do not have to pay tuition fees at our university. We only charge the semester fee.

You may also like


Read more

Studying at our university

Read more

Prospective students

Read more

During your studies

Read more


Read more