If you work, are raising children or taking care of other family members but would also like to study, then enrolling as a part-time student can be a viable alternative to full-time study as it gives you more flexibility.
Prolonging Your Studies
If compelling reasons prevent you from studying full-time, you can apply to study part-time. This document (in German) contains information on requirements, potential justifications for studying part-time and programme structure.
As a part-time student, you essentially have the same status as someone who studies full-time. You are subject to the same study and examination regulations.
It is not possible to combine studying part-time with a double degree at Leipzig University.
Applying to Study Part-Time
- If you would like to apply to study part-time, please write to your examination board. Specify whether you wish to be a part-time student for a limited or an unlimited period, and enclose the following:
- Documents justifying for your application
- Completed form (in German) requesting part-time student status
- If your application for part-time studies is approved, your examination board or office will the form to you signed and stamped.
- Submit this form to the Student Office.
- After we have processed your form and you have re-enrolled as norma, you will receive your new enrolment confirmation via your AlmaWeb account. The fact that you are studying part-time will be noted there on your master data sheet and on the confirmation pursuant to Sect. 9 of the German Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG).
- If you wish to study part-time from the winter semester, your application must reach the examination board by 15 September.
- If you wish to study part-time from the summer semester, your application must reach the examination board by 15 March.